Logistics and Transportation in the Diamond Industry
The diamond industry represents 5% of Belgian export. 84% of all rough diamonds around the world are traded through Antwerp, the heart of the global diamond industry. Logistics and transportation play an important role and are part of the process from the start, all the way through to the creation and purchasing of the product.
The following are a selection of tasks performed by a Transportation and Logistics employee in the diamond industry.
- Prepare export documentation in compliance with regulations as part of the excellent service provided by the department;
- Monitor valuable goods;
- Make preparations needed to guarantee efficient and secure transportation;
- Provide physical transportation (national and international) in a customer-friendly manner, adhering to the scheduled route, and report deviations and potentially suspicious circumstances;
- Daily communications with customers and providers, and relationship management;
- Send documents to customers;
- Responsible for indexing, copying, filing and archiving, and scanning documents;
- Pay close attention to the flow of goods, and intervene as necessary.
- First contact for customers, by telephone and in person.
- Together with the Logistics Manager, monitor the efficiency and organizational aspects of the department.
Specific tasks depend on the job in question.
- Ability to work precisely, fast, and with a collegial attitude;
- A well-groomed appearance, effortless and customer-friendly communicator;
- Good physical condition to accept heavy packages if necessary;
- Some knowledge of Incoterms and customs forms;
- Do not have a rigid 9-to-5 mentality;
- Hands-on, accurate, stress-resistant and a team player;
- Fluent in English.
Jobs in the Antwerp Diamond Industry
The diamond industry is always looking for motivated, passionate employees. If you are you not looking for a job in the import or export business but you are interested in other kind of jobs, be sure to explore job listings in the following categories:
- Sales and Marketing
- Finances and Accounting
- Transportation and Logistics
The diamond industry is a fast-growing sector, therefore there are many new job openings each year.