- Registered Diamond Companies
- Finance and Taxes
- Antwerp Diamond Tender Facility
- Diamond Office
- Resources and Regulations
- Sponsorship Request
- Brilliant Benefits
- AD Jobs
- Starting a Business in Antwerp
- 1. Formalities, Registrations and Declarations for Diamond Traders
- 2. Founding a Company in Belgium
- 3. Types of Companies in Belgium
- 4. Methods to Acquire Companies in Belgium
- 5. Commercial Property
- 6. Insurance
- 7. Labour in Belgium
- Status of the employee
- Employment contracts
- Recruiting employees
- Specific case of secondment
- Relocation assistance and integration
- Public holidays in Belgium
- Legal paid annual leave in Belgium
- Illness of the employee
- Personnel/staff administration
- Social Inspection Department
- Contribution to the Internal Compensation Fund
- 8. International Agreements
- 9. Subsidies in Belgium
- 10. Intellectual Property
Illness of the employee
In case of illness of an employee, the performance of the employment contract will be temporarily suspended and the employee must immediately (and latest within two working days) inform his/her employer of his/her illness and provide a medical certificate.
A manual worker (blue collar employee) who:
- has been employed for less than 1 month, is – in case of illness – not entitled to guaranteed salary at the employer's expense;
- has been employed for at least 1 month, is – in case of illness – entitled to a guaranteed 100% weekly salary at the employer's expense during the first 7 days;
- Since the coming into force of the Unification law on the 1st of January 2014, the exclusion of the first day of illness from the guaranteed salary (Carenz-day) has been eliminated. Consequently, manual workers are entitled to payment from their first day of illness.
- After the first 7 days of illness, the manual worker can then claim a specific percentage of his/her salary for the following 23 days at the employer's expense.
A white collar employee is entitled to a guaranteed salary during the first 30 days of illness/incapacity. Illness and disability insurance will then take effect as of the 31st day of incapacity.
 Article 52 § 1 Wet 22 augustus 1978 betreffende de Arbeidsovereenkomsten.